Friday, October 12, 2007

Can I Talk About College Football for a Second?

"In what's been the year of the upset in college football, Stanford's stunner just might top them all." This is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong--I relish USC's loss as much as the next guy--but here are three reasons why the App State game was much worse:

  1. USC lead for all but the last 42 seconds of the game. Michigan was behind for most of the Mountaineers game.
  2. Stanford ended USC's home-game winning streak at 35 games. The last team to beat USC at home was...Stanford. What I'm saying is that there's a history of this happening before. Meanwhile, Michigan became the first ranked team in the history of the AP poll to lose to a Div. I-AA team.
  3. Which leads me to my third point. Stanford is a I-A, Pac-10 team. It is more respectable losing to them than any Div. I-AA team, no matter how good they are.

If all this doesn't convince you, just look at the rankings. Michigan went from being ranked no. 5 in the nation to receiving no votes at all afterwards. USC merely dropped from 2 to 10.

The team hurt most by this is Notre Dame. All the attention on USC, and no one has even noticed that they beat UCLA 20-6.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello bryan!